Think Outside the Box

Think Outside the Box

Thursday, July 30, 2015

How To: Use the Confusion Bubble Worksheets

Reflecting on Learning

This is an activity I use before EVERY test.  I really like it.  The kids seem to enjoy it.  The grouping tends to be different for every unit, and it has gotten me some INNOVATING points on my Marzano Evaluations.

Download for FREE!

I've got another *NEW* offering on teacherspayteachers.com!  I developed this a couple of years ago in a file folder format, and then made it much more *cute* and able to fit in our interactive notebooks.  



How To: Use the Confusion Bubble Worksheets


  1. Print the worksheets
    • Areas of Confusion
    • Answers to Clarifying Questions
  2. In the thought bubbles, students record words or phrases that about the unit / topic that are confusing.  (NO SENTENCES!)
  3. Once the confusing points have been identified, think about how to make those topics into specific questions.
    • Write these questions in the CLARIFYING QUESTIONS area. 
    • Students should have AT LEAST one question per thought bubble / confusion point.
  4. Each student identifies the question (or two) that makes him/her most uncomfortable or confused.
    • I like to say, “Which of these topics would most make you sick if I were to ask you to explain it right now.”
    • Circle, highlight, or star the question(s) that make the student most uncomfortable.
  5. TEACHER: Record the uncomfortable topic from each student, and pair students with similar points of confusion.
  6. Allow each pair to use a research device (computer, tablet, textbook, etc.) to find the answers to the specific questions.
    • Start with the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE questions first.
    • DO NOT DIVIDE AND CONQUER! (Both partners must work together, do not work alone.)
    • Research and record information / notes / pictures in the student notebook.
    • Research ALL of the questions written by both partners in the pair.
    • Discuss amongst partners to be sure each partner understands completely.
  7. AFTER all of the research has been recorded:
    • Summarize the information.
    • Completely answer on the ANSWERS TO CLARIFYING QUESTIONS page.

HS Science Example:


Junior High Math Example:

Elementary Language Arts Example:


(My apologies if this elementary example is “way off”.  I looked at the 2nd grade common core standards to make this example.  But, I’ve only ever taught middle and high school, so forgive me if I’m off base.  Please put comments in the response if it needs to change.)

Leave me a note in the comments.




 - TeachersPayTeachers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment