Think Outside the Box

Think Outside the Box

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

About Me

I love my job.  I get excited about teaching science, and I love to transfer my energy, enthusiasm, and sense of wonder to my students.  Watching the lightbulbs flick on and the gears turn is awesome.

Science has always been my favorite school subject.  I've been fascinated by the intricate inner workings of cells and systems since my own high school biology days.  I studied Bioengineering at the University of Toledo, and started my professional life as a design engineer of orthopedic and minimally invasive surgical devices. 

As an engineer, I never felt quite close enough to the difference I was making in our patients' lives, so I took a risk and put my engineering career on hold.  I volunteered with the U.S. Peace Corps and taught secondary science in Ghana, West Africa.  I learned to speak Dangme and Twi (small-small), and lived in a small town at the foot of the Akosombo Dam.  During my time in Africa, I realized that those lightbulb moments were as close as one could get to seeing the effect they have on the world. 

Upon my return to the United States, I decided (1.) I was done with winter weather, and (2.)  I wanted to continue to inspire the next generation of creative thinkers and problem solvers to take risks, follow their passions, and learn to love to learn.  I've been bouncing around my middle school classroom for the last seven years, showing students that atoms have personality, plate tectonic models are best made from graham crackers and icing, and dragon babies can teach everything you needed to know about genetics.

Follow me as I continue to build and grow and venture in to High School this year!  (Am I as nervous as the freshmen?  I'll never tell.)