Think Outside the Box

Think Outside the Box

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Classroom Under Construction

"Sure, You Can Move in on Monday." - Ms. Alice, head custodian

I don't have any pictures from yesterday, I was too frazzled to think to take any.  

I was SUPER excited to load up my car on Sunday night and *finally*  get my school stuff out of my garage to take it to my new school.  I carefully organized the plastic storage bins, plastic drawers, milk crates and boxes of really important stuff that MUST go with me to my new school and it all fit in ONE trip!

It's July, in Florida, I didn't want to be moving boxes from my car to the disjointed classroom building a quarter mile away, in the dead heat of midday.  So, I showed up at school at 7am.  (With breakfast for the custodians, because everybody knows that you need to first win over the custodians and the front office staff when you start a new job.)

Ms. Alice greeted me with a welcoming shout from the flower bed she and her staff were pruning.  She sent Ms. Edna to get me a flatbed cart, and the three of us unloaded my car and walked to building seven, where my classroom is.

We got in, turned on the light, and lo and behold, it is not empty.  It is not close to empty.  There are some stacks of books and a mini fridge on the back counter.  All the bookshelves have shells, and books, and games, and more shells... 

I was too excited to just put my stuff back in my car, so I piled it on the middle student tables and waited.  I found another teacher, who in her words, "runs our hall".  She said the teacher planned to be in today to move... but she didn't know what time.

I felt really awkward.  I didn't want to box up her stuff, because frankly, I wouldn't want anyone going through my stuff... and I didn't want her to get mad at me for pushing her out... but, well, I want my garage back!

I waited around for an hour, trying to imagine room configurations.  Eventually I left.  I have training today and tomorrow, so on Thursday I'll go back.  Hopefully all my stuff is still there and all of her stuff has been moved out.  We'll see.


How excited are you to set up your room?  Leave a note in the comments.



 - TeachersPayTeachers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment