Think Outside the Box

Think Outside the Box

Monday, August 17, 2015

"Was the quiz hard?" "No, it was so much fun!"

This is the actual exchange I heard as third block transitioned to fourth.  


Check out Kahoot!  To create a free account, go to getkahoot.com then create your own assessment or browse the thousands of quizzes that have been created by others.  I was thrilled to see the scarlet macaw from our textbook staring back at me.  This is the quiz I gave today. 


When you've picked one out, you can save it to your account.  The kids use a free app on their smartphone or tablet, or the web at kahoot.it on the Chromebook or laptop.


You'll project the questions via your computer/projector, and the kids will use their devices to respond to the multiple choice questions.  They log in using the game pin generated by your account, and then are prompted for their nickname.  (Why couldn't Kahoot just ask for first name, last initial?  I hate nickname, because inevitably, no matter how many times I say, "I don't want your nickname."  The Tobinator shows up on my screen and I have to kick him out.) 

But it's not just a quiz, it's a competition.  Just like trivia at your favorite wing place, you get the most points by answering quickly and correctly.  The kids just get 4 colored blocks in their screens, and they match their answer choice to the associated block.  There is the option to play some stress inducing music during the questions, and each question defaults to 20 seconds to answer. Once all the devices have answered (don't mess up, you can't change your answer),  or the time expires, the correct answer is left on the screen.  Then the leaderboard shows up.  My kids were so excited to see their names on the board, and even more excited to bump the leader off the top spot.

My students were 100% engaged.  (It would have been a FANTASTIC time for an administrator to do a walk through...). Even the students that seemed like they'd be too cool, were into it.  Students that have already seemed to check out were completly tuned in!  I let those without smartphones team up with a partner, the collaboration and discussion was awesome to watch.

During my fourth block class all my freshmen were called out for their grade level assembly.  The few upperclassmen that were left got to take their quiz on Kahoot.  The freshmen returned right as we finished up, they'll have to take the same questions tomorrow via paper based quiz, they are so disappointed.  Someone even whined that they should have skipped the boring assembly to take the quiz instead. (So surreal!)

I loved it.  I do think it might be helpful to print the questions or something, because sometimes a slow reader might fall behind. 

Do you Kahoot? Leave me a message in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment